About the League Learn More
- MESSAGE FROM LWVUS PRESIDENT:
On Saturday, January 21, 2017 millions of women and men gathered--in the streets of Washington, in cities and towns across the United States, in countries around the world--to demand their voices be heard.
The Women's March was a powerful, inspiring event--but even before the crowds had begun to disperse, the crucial question was asked: What next? Read More
Join the League Learn More
- The League of Women Voters of Orange, Durham and Chatham (LWVODC) counties supports informed and active participation in our democracy. We stand with all Americans who care about a free and open democracy. Any person 16 years or older may join the LWV.
Join the League of Women Voters, where . . .
Membership dues can be paid online or by check.
- Your hands-on work to safeguard democracy leads to civic improvement.
- You have volunteer opportunities to promote voter education.
- You have opportunities for civic involvement.
- You can be directly involved in shaping the important issues to keep our community strong.
- Your membership dues are supporting League actions in creating an informed electorate.
Donate to the League Learn More
- Support the League's Work Through Your Donations.
LWVODC Action Learn More
- GET INVOLVED AND MAKE A DIFFERENCE
- Environmental Issues
- Saturday, April 29, 2017, Presentation: The Status of NC Environmental Legislation and Actions for Advocacy. NC Senator Woodard, who is a member of the Senate Agricultural/Environment/Natural Resources Committee, will speak. This comes at a time when substantial changes are being considered. The LWVODC Environmental Issues Team is hosting this presentation and invites you to join them for this important update and discussion from 10 am - noon, Chapel Hill Public Library, 100 Library Drive, Chapel Hill, NC 27514 The program is free and open to the public. Free parking is available.
- Gun Violence Prevention
- Health Care & Medicaid Expansion
ACTION ALERT: STOP THE REPEAL of ACA!
ACA's transformational reforms provide universal health care for all Americans. Children will no longer be denied coverage due to pre-existing conditions, young adults can stay on their parents' health plans as dependents until age 26, Medicare participants will have annual check-ups and mammograms, and many uninsured Americans will now have health care coverage. It also includes coverage of preventive care, limits on out-of-pocket costs, and a prohibition on life-time insurance caps. The ACA ensures that women can no longer be charged more for health care than men.
- NC Representative Graig Meyer's November 14, 2016 presentation to LWVODC: NC Public Education and the NC Legislature, What is on the Horizon, can be watched on Youtube. Because of the length of the video, it is posted in two parts. Part 1 and Part 2
- Sunday, April 30, 2017, 1:30 to 3:30, LWV-ODC Redistricting Reform: Fair Maps/Fair Elections Action Team Meeting. Community Church: Unitarian Universalist, 106 Purefoy Road, Chapel Hill, NC 27514 (in the Community Room). We invite all League members who are interested in Redistricting Reform to attend to review the background of this issue and plan the League's future actions.
LWVODC Education Fund Learn More
- The LWVODC Education Fund works to encourage the active and informed participation of citizens in government and to increase understanding of major public policy issues.
Voting is a Right
Register to vote and VOTE!!!!
Voting is your chance to elect those who will make decisions about our economy, education, environment, and health care.